HAZELNUT HONEY BUNS
Prep: 35 min Rise: 1 hr 50 min Bake: 35 min Cost per
Bun: 20 cents
Planning Tip: These freeze well for up to 2 months foil-wrapped in a single layer.
Reheat, wrapped, in a 350 F oven 25 minutes.
1 envelope active dry yeast 1/4 cup sugar 1
3/4 cups warm milk, skim or whole (105 F to 115 F)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine, melted
Whites from 2 large eggs
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine, melted
1 cup honey
1 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
1/4 cup sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Have ready 24 regular-size (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups.
2. Dough: Stir yeast and 1/2 teaspoon of the sugar into milk. Let stand 10 minutes or
3. Meanwhile mix remaining sugar and the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in center
of flour mixture. Pour in yeast mixture, butter and egg whites. Stir with a wooden spoon
until flour is incorporated and a soft dough forms (dough will pull away from sides of
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead about 5 minutes, until smoooth
and elastic, sprinkling surface with more flour if sticky.
5. Wipe bowl clean. Spray with vegetable cooking spray. Place dough in bowl and turn to
oil all sides. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm draft-free place
about 1 hour until doubled.
6. Grease muffin cups. Place 1 teaspoon butter, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoons
hazelnuts in each.
7. Punch down dough and knead in bowl several times. Turn out onto floured surface.
Roll into a 21x12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. With a long side facing
you, roll tightly lengthwise, jelly-roll style. Cut crosswise in 24 pieces.
8. Arrange cut-side down in muffin cups. Let rise in a warm place 50 minutes until
9. Meanwhile heat oven to 350 F. Place muffin pans on cookie sheets to catch
drips. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
10. Invert muffin tins on a cookie sheet. Slowly lift pan letting excess honey drip onto
buns. Cool 15 minutes; serve warm.
* Makes 24. Per bun: 246 cal, 4 g pro, 38 g car, 9 g fat, 16 mg chol with butter, 6 mg chol
with margarine, 74 mg sod. Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch/bread, 1 fruit, 1 3/4 fat