ALMOND FRENCH-BREAD PUDDING
Prep: 10 min Bake: 65 min
Cost per Serving: 35 cents
We loved all these bread-pudding recipes, but this one was special because of its deep
almond flavor and occasional burst of raisins. Bread puddings bake in a pan of water so
they heat slowly and the egg mixture doesn't scramble.
About 18 1/2-inch-thick slices French bread (from a 6-ounce loaf)
1/2 cup golden raisins
4 cups milk
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup whole almonds with skins, finely chopped
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Have ready a 13x9-inch baking dish and a large roasting pan.
2. Line bottom of baking dish with bread slices. Scatter with raisins.
3. In a large bowl, whisk milk, eggs, sugar, butter and extract until blended. Pour evenly
over bread. Let stand 10 minutes for bread to absorb mixture. Scatter almonds over top.
4. Place dish in pan. Add hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of dish.
5. Bake 55 to 65 minutes, until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove
from water to a rack. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
* Serves 10. Per serving: 336 cal, 10 g pro, 50 g car, 11 g fat, 147 mg chol with butter, 141
mg chol with margarine, 214 mg sod. Exchanges: 2/3 starch/bread, 2 1/4 fruit, 1/2
medium-fat meat, 1/2 dairy/skim milk, 1 2/3 fat