Source: Noriko's Kitchen
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ofukuro no aji -- Mom's cooking: This is a typical Japanese dish served at
dinner. The main ingredients are russet potatoes, onions, and beef. The
flavoring is based on soy sauce and sugar, very common for a Japanese dish.
* 1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 4 to 5 pieces each
* 1/3 lb. beef, thinly sliced
* 2/3 lb. yellow onions, sliced (about 1/3 inch wide)
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 400 cc water (about 1 1/2 cups)
* 3 tablespoons or more soy sauce (to taste)
* 3 tablespoons or more brown sugar (to taste)
* 2 tablespoons sake or white wine
Prepare vegetables as described above. Heat a deep pan and add oil and beef.
Saute for a couple of minutes, then add onion and potato. Continue sauteing
for 3 minutes. Add water, soy sauce, brown sugar, and sake or wine. Bring to
a simmer half covered. Skim off any foam and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes
until potatoes are done.
- recipe courtesy of Hiroyuki Sato (firstname.lastname@example.org)