HIKER-BARS(A) USENET Cookbook HIKER-BARS(A)
HIKER-BARS - Caloric, filling, and tasty bars for the trail
These bars give a flavorful and filling treat along the
trail. The recipe came from Ben Branch of AT&T Bell Labs at
INGREDIENTS (24 to 48 bars)
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/3 cup butter
2 medium bananas, (mashed)
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cup white flour
4 cups Kellogg's Special K cereal (crushed)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 oz chocolate chips
1 cup salted peanuts (chopped)
6-8 oz dates (chopped)
PROCEDURE By hand
(1) Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. In a large bowl cream
together peanut butter and butter. Mix in bananas,
molasses, sugar, and vanilla.
(2) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
(3) Stir in the cereal. Sift together dry ingredients
and mix into batter. Add chips, peanuts, and
(4) Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan.
(5) Bake in preheated 350 deg. F oven for 35 to 45
minutes. Cut into bars.
PROCEDURE With food processor
(1) Cream butters in processor. Add cut-up bananas
(2) Add molasses, sugar, vanilla. Blend.
(3) Add eggs. Blend.
(4) Pour batter into large bowl and stir in sifted dry
(5) Stir in other ingredients, one at a time. Con-
tinue with step 4, above.
Difficulty: easy to moderate. Time: 1/2 to 1 hour work; 1
hour waiting. Precision: approximate measurement OK.
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
From: horton@harvard (Nicholas Horton)
Subject: RECIPE: Hobbit pie
Date: 13 Feb 87 06:15:48 GMT
Organization: Aiken Lab, Harvard Univ., Cambridge, Mass., USA
Copyright (C) 1987 USENET Community Trust
Permission to copy without fee all or part of this material is granted
provided that the copies are not made or distributed for direct commercial
advantage, the USENET copyright notice and the title of the newsgroup and
its date appear, and notice is given that copying is by permission of
the USENET Community Trust or the original contributor.