Prep: 30 min Cook: 22 min Bake: 35 min
Cost per Serving: 87 cents
The unusually light, creamy texture of the filling makes for a welcome surprise.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (19 ounces) chick-peas, rinsed and drained
Whites from 2 large eggs
1 small onion, quartered
1 container (15 ounces) fat-free ricotta cheese
1 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and salt
30 jumbo-size pasta shells, freshly cooked and drained
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Marinara Sauce: Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes
until aromatic. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered 20 minutes or
until slightly thickened.
2. Stuffing: Process chick-peas and egg whites in blender or food processor until smooth.
Add remaining stuffing ingredients. Process until onion is finely chopped and mixture
is well blended.
3. To assemble, heat oven to 350 F. Spread 1 cup Marinara Sauce over bottom of baking
dish. Spoon scant 2 tablespoons stuffing into each shell. Arrange on sauce in single
layer, stuffing side up. Top with remaining sauce.
4. Bake 30 minutes or until sauce bubbles. Sprinkle with cheeses and bake 5 minutes
longer or until cheese melts.
* Serves 10. Per serving: 270 cal, 17 g pro, 37 g car, 5 g fat, 9 mg chol, 456 mg sod.
Exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat