GERMAN POTATO SALAD
Prep: 10 min Microwave: 27 min
Cost per Serving: 35 cents
12 small red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
3 slices bacon
3/4 cup beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon each cornstarch and sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each celery seed and pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar (4 ounces) pimientos, drained and chopped
1. Prick each potato 2 or 3 times with a fork. Arrange in a circle on paper towel in oven.
Microwave on high 12 to 14 minutes, rearranging potatoes once, until almost tender.
Remove from microwave and let stand 5 minutes or until tender.
2. While potatoes are standing, put bacon in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Cover with
a paper towel and microwave on high 4 to 41/2 minutes, rotating bowl 1/4 turn once,
until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon and pat dry with paper towels. Discard bacon fat and
3. In same bowl, whisk broth, vinegar, cornstarch, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper to
blend. Stir in onion. Microwave, uncovered, 6 to 8 minutes, whisking every 2 minutes
until thick and bubbly.
4. Cut potatoes in 11/2-inch pieces. Add to broth mixture along with the pimientos and
toss to mix and coat. Crumble bacon over top. Serve warm.
* Serves 8. Per serving: 127 cal, 3 g pro, 25 g car, 2 g fat, 2 mg chol, 263 mg sod. Exchanges:
1 1/2 starch/bread, 1/4 fat