SANTA FE SUNRISE SALAD
Total Time: 30 min
Refrigerate: up to 2 days
Cost per Serving: $1.52
Planning Tip: This handsome salad can be completely
assembled up to 2 days ahead,
dressing and all. The dressing seals out air so ingredients
stay fresh and crisp. Use a bowl
large enough for easy tossing.
8 cups coarsely shredded or torn Romaine lettuce
8 large eggs, hard-cooked, sliced when cool
2 pints cherry tomatoes, reserve 8 whole for garnish
and quarter the rest
2 cans (11 ounces each) kernel corn, drained
1 can (16 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 ripe Haas avocados, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch chunks,
then tossed with 1 tablespoon
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat mayonnaise
2/3 cup bottled chunky salsa
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and chili powder
1 1/4 cups cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Garnish: pitted ripe (black) olives, reserved cherry
tomatoes and shredded
1. Lightly pack lettuce in bottom of a transparent 6-quart
serving bowl with straight sides
(or two 2 1/2 -to 3-quart bowls).
2. Stand a row of egg slices around side of bowl(s).
Lay remaining egg slices evenly over
lettuce, then top with a layer of cherry tomatoes.
3. In a medium-size bowl, stir corn, black beans and
scallions to mix. Spoon over
tomatoes. Top with avocado chunks.
4. Put dressing ingredients in same bowl (no need to
wash) and stir until well blended.
Spread evenly over avocado layer to edges of bowl to
5. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate
overnight or up to 2 days.
6. To serve: Garnish with olives, tomatoes and cheese.
Toss salad to mix layers.
* Serves 8. Per serving: 388 cal, 12 g pro, 36 g car,
23 g fat, 213 mg chol, 943 mg sod.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch/bread, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat
meat, 3 1/2 fat