ONE-BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CREAM FROSTING
Prep: 15 min Chill (frosting): 1 hr
Bake: 24 min
Total Cost (without garnish): $4.40
Make the frosting first so it can chill while the cake bakes. The cake layers freeze well up
to 3 months. Once frosted, the cake keeps well, tightly covered, in the refrigerator up to 1
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cake flour (not self-rising) or 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
1/3 cup milk
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Garnish: chocolate creme de menthe and chocolate-mint parfait wafers (such as Andes),
cut in triangles for top of cake and irregular pieces for sides
1. Frosting: Mix heavy cream, cocoa, sugar and vanilla in a medium-size bowl. Cover
and refrigerate about 1 hour, stirring several times to dissolve cocoa and sugar.
2. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two 8-inch layer-cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper.
3. Cake: Put all cake ingredients into a large bowl in the order listed. Beat with electric
mixer, scraping sides of bowl with a rubber spatula several times, until batter is thick
(like sour cream) and spreadable. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
4. Bake 22 to 24 minutes, until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cakes on rack and peel off paper. Turn
cakes right side up and cool completely.
6. Beat chilled frosting mixture with electric mixer just until stiff peaks begin to form
when beaters are lifted (don't overbeat or frosting will look grainy).
7. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread with frosting. Top with second layer. Spread
remaining frosting on top and sides. Garnish with chocolate-mint candies.
* Serves 10. Per serving: 425 cal, 5 g pro, 36 g car, 31 g fat, 127 mg chol with butter, 108 mg
chol with margarine, 162 mg sod. Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch/bread, 1 fruit, 6 fat