FRESH APPLE-CHIFFON CAKE
Prep: 20 min Bake: 1 hr 15 min
Total Cost: $3.21
Chiffon cakes rely on well-beaten egg whites for lightness and height. Make sure bowls
and beaters are clean, dry and free of grease so whites beat to maximum volume.
1 cup egg whites (from 7 large eggs)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Yolks from 2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3 medium-size McIntosh apples (about 1 pound), peeled
and coarsely shredded (2 cups)
Garnish: bottled caramel sauce
1. Heat oven to 325 F. Have a 9- to 10-inch tube pan ready. If pan has a removable
bottom, do nothing to it. If not, lightly grease and line bottom with waxed paper. Lightly
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until frothy.
Gradually increase mixer speed to high, adding granulated sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
Beat until whites greatly increase in volume and are thick and glossy, and stiff peaks
form when beaters are lifted.
3. In another large bowl, with electric mixer on high (no need to wash beaters), beat
brown sugar, apple juice, oil, egg yolks and vanilla extract until well blended. Gradually
beat in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in shredded
4. Stir about 1/3 the whites into the apple mixture. Pour apple mixture into remaining
whites and gently stir (fold) with a rubber spatula until no white streaks remain.
5. Scrape into tube pan and smooth top. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until pick inserted
near center of cake comes out clean. Invert tube pan on a wire rack or hang on the neck
of a glass bottle. Let cool completely.
6. Run knife around edges and tube and remove pan. Loosen and remove bottom, or
peel off paper. Place cake right side up on serving plate. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
* Serves 12. Per serving: 270 cal, 5 g pro, 47 g car, 7 g fat, 35 mg chol, 256 mg sod.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch/bread, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat