KATHY HOGAN TROCHECK'S LEMON POUNDCAKE
Prep: 20 min Bake: 1 1/2 hr
Make Ahead: up to 1 week or 1 month
Cost per Cake: $4.55
When Kathy isn't busy wowing friends with her green beans or this lemon poundcake,
she writes a successful series of mystery novels. Since this cake is very rich and moist, it
can be kept at room temperature for up to one week, and frozen for up to one month.
Carry it in a plastic cake container with handles or in a cake box, if you can get one from
your local bakery.
3 cups cake flour, or 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 large eggs, whites and yolks separated, at room temperature
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) butter or margarine (not spread), at room temperature
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon each lemon extract and vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Garnish: fresh lemon slices, mint sprigs
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan. Lightly coat with flour and shake out
2. Mix flour and salt.
3. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters
4. Beat butter, cream cheese and sugar in another large bowl (with same beaters) until
light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time until blended. Beat in extracts.
5. With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until blended.
6. Stir in about 1/4 of the beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula, then gently stir (fold)
in remaining whites until no white streaks remain.
7. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until pick inserted in center comes
out with moist crumbs.
8. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Invert on rack and cool completely.
9. To glaze: Place rack on waxed paper. Mix glaze ingredients and brush over cake. If
garnishing, do so right before serving (to keep mint fresh).
* Serves 12. Per serving: 650 cal, 8 g pro, 91 g car, 29 g fat, 196 mg chol with butter, 145 mg
chol with margarine, 334 mg sod. Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch/bread, 4 1/2 fruit, 1/2
medium-fat meat, 5 fat