Prep: 30 min Bake: 40 min
Total Cost: $2.77
Planning Tip: The pie can be baked up to 2 days ahead and the finishing touches added
up to 8 hours before serving.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 cup milk
3 large eggs, yolks and whites separated, at room temperature
1 pint (12 ounces) ripe strawberries, reserve 5 or 6 whole, slice the rest
1/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam or strawberry jam, melted
Garnish: mint sprigs
1. Heat oven to 325 F. Have a 9-inch pie plate ready.
2. Crust: Mix flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add oil and milk. Stir with a fork until
well blended. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Scatter evenly in ungreased pie plate. Press
over bottom and up sides. Press edge into a plain rim.
3. Lemon Filling: Mix sugar, flour and lemon peel in a large bowl. Whisk in lemon
juice, butter, milk and egg yolks until blended. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with
electric mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Stir gently (fold) into lemon
mixture. Pour into crust.
4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until a pick inserted near center comes out clean and top is
5. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
6. Up to 8 hours before serving: Arrange sliced berries on pie beginning at outer edge
and leaving a 2 1/2-inch circle empty in center. Fill circle with reserved whole berries.
Brush sliced and whole berries with melted jam. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with
* Serves 8. Per serving: 383 cal, 6 g pro, 60 g car, 14 g fat, 89 mg chol, 198 mg sod.
Exchanges: 1 1/4 starch/bread, 2 3/4 fruit, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat