* Steamed Fish over Corn Cakes
* Cream of Crab Soup
* Green Salad
Steamed Fish Over Corn Cakes
Rockpool Restaurant, Sydney, Australia
Makes 4 servings
For the Fish:
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Four 6-ounce white-fleshed fish fillets, such as scrod, halibut, or orange
1 bunch scallions, green part only, cut in fine julienne strips
1/2 pound asparagus or snow peas, cut in julienne strips (optional)
For the Corn Cakes:
3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. To make the fish: In a high-sided sauté pan, combine peanut and sesame
oils, sherry, soy sauce, and sugar. Heat until just simmering. Add the fish
fillets in one layer and cover pan. Cook over medium heat, until fish is
opaque, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the fillet.
2. For the corn cakes: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine 2
cups of the corn, the garlic, cilantro, salt and eggs. Process until the
mixture is smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl, stir in the remaining cup of
corn and the flour.
3. In a large skillet, add the frying oil to a depth of 1/2 inch. Warm over
high heat. When hot, add 1/4 cup of the corn batter and flatten slightly.
Fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain the corn
cakes on paper towels.
4. Place 1 or 2 cakes on each plate. Place the fish fillets over the cakes.
Add the scallions and snow peas or asparagus to the steaming liquid and cook
until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Spoon the sauce and vegetables equally
over each dish.
Copyright 1995 Acorn Associates, Ltd.
Cream of crab soup
Makes 6 servings
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 hard-boiled eggs
Juice and finely grated rind 1 lime, or lemon
3 cups fish stock
2 cups milk
1 cup light cream
1/2 pound crab meat, flaked
Salt, freshly ground pepper
Dash Angostura bitters
1/4 cup dry sherry
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Cook, stirring, for a
minute or two. Remove from the heat and add the eggs, mashing them to a
2. Add the juice and rind of the lime, the fish stock, milk, cream and crab
meat. Return the saucepan to the heat and simmer gently, stirring from time
to time, for 10 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper, add the bitters and sherry and reheat
gently. (The sherry may also be served on the side).