BAKED ZITI FLORENTINE
Prep: 10 min Cook: 40 min Bake: 30 min
Cost per Serving: 99 cents
1 pound ziti pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces ground beef chuck
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup cottage cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook ziti in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain and
leave in a colander.
2. Heat oil in same pot. Add ground beef and onions and cook over medium-high heat,
breaking up beef with a wooden spoon, 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
3. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover
and cook 12 minutes for flavor to develop. Stir in spinach and cook 3 minutes longer.
Remove from heat.
4. Heat oven to 375 F. Have a 13x9-inch baking dish ready.
5. Stir cooked ziti and cottage cheese into spinach sauce until blended. Spoon into baking
dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake 30 minutes, or until top is golden.
* Serves 4. Per serving: 768 cal, 36 g pro, 103 g car, 24 g fat, 58 mg chol, 977 mg sod.
Exchanges: 5 1/2 starch/bread, 4 vegetables, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 3 fat