Hash-Brown Skillet Cake
Prep: 12 min Cook: 17 min
Cost per Serving: 32 cents
5 baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each), baked and chilled
Nonstick cooking spray
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, paprika and pepper
1. Pull skins off baked potatoes. Coarsely shred potatoes, using large holes of a grater.
2. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add oil, then bell pepper and
onion. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, or until vegetables are
crisp-tender. Stir in seasonings.
3. Add shredded potatoes and toss to mix. Pat smooth with a spatula. Increase heat to
medium, partially cover skillet and cook 6 minutes, or until bottom is golden.
4. Invert onto a plate. Slide back into skillet and cook 6 minutes longer, or until bottom
* Serves 6. Per serving: 136 cal, 3 g pro, 28 g car, 2 g fat, 0 mg chol, 376 mg sod. Exchanges:
1 1/2 starch/bread, 1/3 vegetable, 1/3 fat