Keep the Bloom on the Rose
Now's the time for roses, all right. If you luck out and get a single, long-stem
beauty or even a dozen from someone special, make them last.
* Recut the stems under water and at an angle as soon as you receive them.
* Fill a vase with warm water and add a floral preservative. The florist should
have small packets available to include with the flowers.
* Remove all leaves that will be below the waterline.
* Keep the vase out of direct sunlight, heat sources and drafts.
* Refill the vase with fresh water every two or three days
(or when the water becomes cloudy) and recut the stems.
* Replenish preservative solution every 1 to 2 days.
* If roses bend at the neck prematurely, revive them by recutting the stems under
warm water and allowing the entire flower to soak underwater for about an hour.
* To preserve roses for years to come, make a potpourri from the petals. For complete
instructions, send your request, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to
P.O. Box 99
Haslett, MI 48840.